Skip to main content

2014 Boston Marathon: A Thank You Note.

Running; for me it is not an individual effort. I have said it many time and many ways and I'm going to say it one more time. I couldn't run like I do with out a whole lot of help and this year the Boston Marathon and the training cycle that proceeded it just magnified that fact. If you haven't already read the race report you can find it here. As you might imagine I had support and encouragement from everywhere, social media, work, church, the gym I belong to. It was the Boston Marathon after all. Even people who have no interest in running know about and respect this historic road race. But when I got hurt 8 weeks out there were 3 people who really stepped it up and helped me limp through the last 8 weeks and without them I wouldn't have been able to run Boston at all and I'd like to take a minute to thank them.

First of all, to deal with my injury I went to St. Vincent Sports Performance in Carmel which is about 45 minutes from my house. The doctor set me up with one of their trainers to keep me patched up and running through the injury allowing me to maintain enough fitness to actually go and finish the race. Scott Hudson is a trainer at SVSP. Scott kept me running with a variety of joint manipulation techniques and soft tissue work. I would literally limp in after a 15 mile run and after an hour with Scott I would walk out. It was pretty amazing. I don't think just any trainer could do this. But as as a 100 mile utlra-marathon finisher,  Scott understands running. Thanks Scott!

All of the time I spent with Scott including driving to an from the facility brings me to my boss, Dave McChesney. Before my initial visit to the doctor Dave said "right now, Boston is top priority. Do whatever you need to do." What I needed to do was visit Scott twice a week during business hours. So on Tuesdays and Thursdays Dave allowed me to come in at 10:00 AM after I had been to see Scott. Getting into to Scott could have been much more complicated and Dave would have been justified in not letting me miss so much work. But instead he invested himself in my running and gave me the freedom I needed to get through. Thanks Dave!

Now, if you read any of my race reports or follow my training in any way you know who the 3rd person I need to thank is. Do you ever get sick of how thankful I am for my wife? This woman puts as much if not more in my running than I do. From making sure I have the things I need to run and coordinating all of the details for races, keeping me honest when I don't have the motivation and giving me a kick in the butt when I need it. Even getting up early to ride her bike along side me in the last 5 miles of a stupid long run. She truly makes me feel like a pro.

This injury was no different. She watched and learned from Scott so that the 5 days a week I wasn't seeing him she could work on me to keep it all held together. She spent her evenings and even lunch hours working on my injury so that I could get back out there in an effort to maintain as much fitness as possible. She listened to me whine, she listened to me wallow in self pity, she provided the assurance that I would run Boston. That I would finish, and that it would all be OK. Not one complaint. The whole time. Not one. Thanks Honey, you are the best!

Running is often seen as an individual sport and I suppose in many ways it is. I suppose a person could run without support, without a team, For me though, I know that I couldn't run like I do without a whole lot of help. To all of my social media friends, dailymile people, church friends, and especially the 3 people mentioned in this post. Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Goals or Running Goal; What is it That I Want?

The other day I got all caught up in setting running goals for myself for the rest of the year. After the goals were set, I found myself starting to worry about how I was going to reach them. Wondering if there would be time to sufficiently prepare for them all. My goals were to run a 5k in under 20 minutes, to run a half marathon in 1:25 minutes and qualify for and run in the Boston marathon in 2014. At first, I thought that setting and meeting these goals would make me a more serious runner. In fact, I thought that to be the "serious" runner I want to be that I needed these goals. However, while I was running the other morning I realized that first of all, I was thinking about how to shift my training to meet my 5k goal. Then I began thinking about the right approach to a 1:25 half while training to qualify for Boston in a full marathon a month later. That is when I realized that the ancillary goals were starting to consume my focus and quite possibly i...

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got...

My AMDG Run: An Answered Prayer.

I have never been a person to pray for specific favors. It never felt right to me. My prayers generally are for strength, guidance, an acceptance of what comes my way. That is always how I "felt" right praying. To pray for a specific favor like a good grade, to do well in some competition and things like that just always felt a little wrong and to pray for physical healing was something I never would have considered. I am not saying this was any kind of selflessness. I am not sure exactly what it was. A fear of seeming childish or perhaps it was out of fear that my faith would be shaken if the prayer wasn't answered. Regardless, this is how I generally pray. And that is not to say that I don't or didn't think that God doesn't concretely answer prayers. I believe that He does. For instance I have always prayed when overwhelmed something like "God, I cannot do this all alone, please help me" and I will somehow, someway find my way through whatever it...