Skip to main content

Joyful Mysteries: 4th, The Presentation

Luke 2:22-40 The Presentation of Jesus

When the days were completed for their purification according to the law of Moses, Mary and Joseph took Jesus up to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord, just as it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that opens the womb shall be consecrated to the Lord, and to offer the sacrifice of a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons, in accordance with the dictate in the law of the Lord. Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon. This man was righteous and devout, awaiting the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Christ of the Lord. He came in the Spirit into the temple; and when the parents brought in the Child Jesus to perform the custom of the law in regard to him, he took Him into his arms and blessed God, saying: “Now, Master, You may let your servant go in peace, according to Your word, for my eyes have seen Your salvation, which You prepared in the sight of all the peoples: a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for Your people Israel.” The Child’s father and mother were amazed at what was said about Him; and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted ‘and you yourself a sword will pierce’ so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.” There was also a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was advanced in years, having lived seven years with her husband after her marriage, and then as a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple, but worshiped night and day with fasting and prayer. And coming forward at that very time, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the Child to all who were awaiting the redemption of Jerusalem. When they had fulfilled all the prescriptions of the law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their own town of Nazareth. The Child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and the favour of God was upon Him.

In the 4th Joyful Mystery we contemplate the presentation of Christ in the temple according to the law. According to the Mosaic law, every first born male child was to be consecrated to the Lord. To consecrate the child Mary and Joseph take Christ to the temple. The temple was filled with people who knew the Scriptures and studied the prophets endlessly. They would have known the prophesies about the Messiah inside and out.

According to the account in Luke 2, there is no mention of any of the priest, scribes, pharisees or scholars of the law who recognize Christ for who He is. A continuing theme throughout the Gospel is that these scribes, pharisees and priests aren't really focusing on God. They are focusing on themselves. The Gospel points out time and again that these people are more concerned with the power and prestige that comes to them because of their station than they are about serving God.

However, two people do recognize Him immediately. Simeon and Anna. It appears from the little that is said about them that they were not concerned with their own stations but rather they spent their lives focusing on God. Simeon was a righteous man who was "awaiting the consolation of Israel" (Luke 2:25). Anna, "never left the temple, but worshiped night and day" (Luke 2:37).

To be sure, the lesson here is not that it is bad to follow the regulations and rituals of our faith. Simeon did follow the Jewish law. The reading says  "The man was righteous and devout" which, in Bible speak, means he followed this law. The lesson is that we must practice our religion for the right reason. We must practice our religion out of love of the LORD not to build ourselves up as "Holy Rollers".

To put it into terms of Catholicism, maybe it would be fair to say that the scribes, the pharisees, Simeon and Anna all attended Mass every Sunday and Holy Day, said their prayers before meals, read the Bible and said the Rosary everyday. In other words, both followed  the practices of the religion. The scribes and pharisees did it so that others would look at them and say "oh, they are so holy". While Simeon and Anna did it out of genuine love of GOD understanding that he gave them the Church and her practices and regulations to draw them to Himself.

This is one thing that I have come to see over time contemplating the 4th Joyful Mystery, "The Presentation", and that is that those who focus on themselves are bound to miss it when God is present among them, while those who focus their attention on God will surely recognize Him when comes into their presence.

What lessons do you see in this mystery. Please use the comments area below to let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th