Skip to main content

My AMDG Run: An Answered Prayer.

I have never been a person to pray for specific favors. It never felt right to me. My prayers generally are for strength, guidance, an acceptance of what comes my way. That is always how I "felt" right praying. To pray for a specific favor like a good grade, to do well in some competition and things like that just always felt a little wrong and to pray for physical healing was something I never would have considered.

I am not saying this was any kind of selflessness. I am not sure exactly what it was. A fear of seeming childish or perhaps it was out of fear that my faith would be shaken if the prayer wasn't answered. Regardless, this is how I generally pray. And that is not to say that I don't or didn't think that God doesn't concretely answer prayers. I believe that He does. For instance I have always prayed when overwhelmed something like "God, I cannot do this all alone, please help me" and I will somehow, someway find my way through whatever it is. Not only that but how the situation resolves more often than not leaves me in awe knowing that the only way it ended up like that was by the Hand of the GOD. So I don't like to pray for specifics and I do believe that GOD concretely and actually answers our prayers, makes tons of sense, right?

This Monday morning during a workout called a "tempo" run, I hurt my knee. A tempo run is a run in which a large chunk, 5 miles for me yesterday, is run as fast as the runner can sustain for 45  minutes to an hour. This is a hard workout. Near the end of the 5 miles I tweaked my knee and I was unable to run home and instead had to walk/jog for next 3 miles and even that was painful.

I iced and adviled yesterday and "hoped" for the best. But I didn't prayed about it. Around 9 last night I went for a short 1 mile test run. I am in marathon training and had a longer run planned for Tuesday morning so I wanted to see if there was any chance I could get it in. It was pretty painful and I was resolved that I wouldn't be running for at least a few days and would need to supplement with some other form of exercise.

After the test run, my wife and I were sitting on the couch watching Olympic coverage. Everyone in my family runs so the Olympic runners have been getting a lot of attention from us. My wife had read an article about Ryan Hall the other day and had started telling me about it. Hall readily shares his faith and in this particular article she read somethings that caught her attention. One of those things was that his wife shared a story of healing through prayer that happened to her.

Hall's wife is also a runner and apparently, she had an Achilles problem that doctors were not able to cure even after a year. She took matters to God and received what she asked. Her heal problems were cured and she has since not had any recurring problem with it.

As I said, this is never how I have prayed. But when my wife relayed this to me A flood of Scripture and Tradition came into my mind. I realized that one of the most prevalent and concrete ways God has relayed Himself to man throughout the Old and New Testaments has been through physical healing. I also realized that this continued in the in the early church and continues even today at places like Lourdes. I also realized that I and probably a lot of other people don't have enough faith to even give this a try. We hear stories and either think "oh, that's nice" or "umm, what a nut job." Looking back I wonder how I ever rectified the fact that God manifested Himself to people throughout the Bible but somehow we think today that He will no longer do that.

I was moved to pray for a healed knee. It wasn't a profound prayer. It wasn't a profound movement even. There was no glistening light from above, no music. I barley even realized I was praying. I am not even sure what if any words I used. It was a split second and I didn't give it much more thought. My knee didn't all of a sudden feel any different. But when I got up Tuesday morning there was absolutely no pain or even discomfort.

I woke up to workout and my knee felt fine. I put on my clothes and just thought I would give it another try before heading to the gym to use the elliptical machine (a torture device used by injured runners as a means of punishment for being injured). But after 1 slow mile and no pain and I thought, I can go a little farther. 2 miles down, no pain then 3 and 4, still no pain. I am beginning to realize what has happened. I am picking up the pace and still feeling just fine. By mile 5, I know that this is nothing short of an answered prayer. There is no other explanation; remember 8 hours ago 1 slow mile was painful. Now I am running at a normal pace and am over 5 miles into it.

I finished off 14 miles at an overall pace of 7:44 mpm and ran the last 2 around 30 seconds faster than that. WITH NO PAIN. Having been the person who actually lived this event, I have no other explanation and I've got to say, I don't really need one.

Comments

Brian Vinson said…
I was praying for healing for your knee, and you're right, Scripture and Tradition are full of healing stories and the same God who healed through Jesus and the Apostles is still God today...
David said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said…
This post is such a fantastic testimony! I'm a runner sidelined with an ankle injury right now as well. It seems trivial to ask for prayer from most people, since most people don't understand how important running is to a runner. Still, God understands and is definitely able to heal!

Popular posts from this blog

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

Running Goals or Running Goal; What is it That I Want?

The other day I got all caught up in setting running goals for myself for the rest of the year. After the goals were set, I found myself starting to worry about how I was going to reach them. Wondering if there would be time to sufficiently prepare for them all. My goals were to run a 5k in under 20 minutes, to run a half marathon in 1:25 minutes and qualify for and run in the Boston marathon in 2014. At first, I thought that setting and meeting these goals would make me a more serious runner. In fact, I thought that to be the "serious" runner I want to be that I needed these goals. However, while I was running the other morning I realized that first of all, I was thinking about how to shift my training to meet my 5k goal. Then I began thinking about the right approach to a 1:25 half while training to qualify for Boston in a full marathon a month later. That is when I realized that the ancillary goals were starting to consume my focus and quite possibly interfere with the b