Skip to main content

Be an Authentic Catholic


We are coming to a close on the year of the catechism that I have posted about a few times. It has been very enlightening and coming on the heels of the year of the Bible I have learned more about our faith than I even dared to imagine and gained a ton of perspective through these exercises.

One thing that I have found that is evident through reading the entire Bible and the Catechism (what amounts to the catholic guide to the faith) is that there is no foundation for some of the political stereotypes that have evolved in the church. To the contrary, the authentic teachings of the Church transcend the American political landscape.

You know what I am talking about. We have Catholics that are conservative and we have Catholics that are liberal. There are others, I am sure but these are the ones I see the most and it seems that the people who fall into these stereotypes allow their American political views to shape their faith. It seems to me that they  make no attempt to reconcile their views and positions with authentic Church teaching as a whole. Rather, they get hold of a part of a valid teaching like social justice or Humanae Vitae and to them that becomes the whole faith.

For instance, the liberal Catholic might defend legalized abortion under the guise of social justice. After all, a poor woman has the right to abort a child she can't care for that would just worsen her economic condition. Or a rape victim shouldn't have to carry the product of the rape to term. More than that, we certainly can't tell them that it is wrong; after all we haven't experienced life as they have. But there is clearly no room for such a position in the faith.

By the same token, the conservative Catholic may make an argument against welfare. "Teach a man to fish" and all that. Again, while we should "teach a man to fish", there is no room in the faith to demand that the state not help those who cannot or will not help themselves. In fact, just the opposite. What the faith teaches is that the state has an obligation to facilitate that help.

Far worse than just having these opinions, when the Bishops remind us of where we should come down on a particular issue they are often dismissed with whatever rationalizations we can muster. In other words, we lift our own political ideology above the teachings of the successors of the Apostles.

Now, I am not immune to this and don't want to leave the impression that I am. I have a tendency to lean in the conservative direction. However, what reading the Catechism and the Bible has shown me is that being a Catholic is not as easy as being liberal or conservative.

I know the examples that I gave are simplistic and easy. The purpose isn't to render a full account of the problems of each groups reasoning. The purpose is to get you to test your own opinions and philosophies against the true and full teaching of the Church. In other words, I challenge you as I challenge myself, don't be a liberal Catholic. Don't be a conservative Catholic. Be an authentic Catholic.

If you aren't sure how to be an authentic Catholic, a good first step would be to turn off Fox, MSNBC, and NPR. Quit reading whatever left or right leaning blogs, newspapers or other information sources you may frequent. Instead, lift up your heart in prayer and open up the pages of the Catechism and Scripture.

By the way, next year at St. Joan of Arc, Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana,  is the Year of the Eucharist, I am pretty excited.

Comments

Hello Chris,
I blundered upon your blog a while back and think it's just amazing. I'm not Catholic and so there are a lot of aspects of the Catholic faith I don't "get" but I'm really inspired and uplifted by the things you have written. Just this week in Bible study we were talking about just this issue -- the being authentic in our faith, not just taking political positions based on what other members of the church say -- and truly looking to what our faith says.
You and I vaguely knew each other in junior high school and we graduated from KHS at the same time, and I just wanted to say hello, and keep writing. I am really inspired to keep reading.
Sincerely,
Jenny (Vinson) Sherrill (Brian Vinson the runner-soccer player's sister)
Thank you for the kind words Jenny :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th