Skip to main content

Bee Bumble 10K Race Report

I ran this race for the first time last year at the suggestion of a coworker and I was hooked. This is a small town race with about 450 or 500 runners and walkers participating in a 5k walk, 5k run, or the race I run the 10k.

The people who put this on really know how to do it to. The cost is a mere $18.00 for the 10k run + shirt + a ridiculously large 5 lbs goody bag packed full of things like moon pies and granola and everything in between. The best part is the supreme breakfast buffet that is served up after the race. Biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt, fresh fruit and a host of other breakfast foods. This breakfast smorgasbord is included in the race entry as well. I'm telling you, the people of Burnettsville know how to put on a race and I just don't think you could find a nicer group of people than the swarm of worker bees that volunteer their Saturday morning to put this race on.

I was very excited for this race because my oldest daughter Kasey was running it also. It worked out perfectly as she had a weekend off from running cross country. To make the day even better at the last minute my wife decided to sacrifice her Saturday morning to ride along and support us. I cannot tell you how much that means to me because I know she gave up valuable study time. The only thing missing was my youngest daughter who didn't have the weekend off from her cross country schedule and we missed her for sure.

On to the race. It was about an hour away with the very foggy conditions and back roads that we had to travel to get there but we made it in time to check in, warm up, hit the restroom and line up with about 10 minutes to spare. Plenty of time for a small race.

When I signed up for the race I was hoping to go under 40 minutes. I really didn't think I was feeling it this morning and I initially lined up in the middle of the pack. After a few minutes I reminded myself that that is not really the runner I am and started making my way to the front. I couldn't get all the way up but I was comfortable where ended up and knew that I could get through once we started running.

As always, I made the Sign of the Cross and offered the race as a prayer. It is something I do in thanksgiving for the gift of my body that is healthy enough to run and the gift of running itself. We started out and the running felt slow and relaxed and I just figured I would settle into a rhythm and see where I was. We hit the first mile and I was running a 6:11 pace. 6:11, oh yeah I am feeling it and it is on!

The course is an out and back and the first 2 miles are pancake flat. Mile 2 has a couple of moderate hills and the hill work I have been doing paid off. I ran those hills with very little trouble. Mile 3 right before the turn around has a hill that belongs in some other part of the country like a mountainous region. Okay, I may be exaggerating slightly but the hill is steep and long. The kind that makes your heart feel like it is going to come right out of your chest. Again, the hill work paid off, I climbed it and it hurt but I recovered quickly as the turn around was right at the top and we headed back down that same hill.

At the turn around I spotted a runner and targeted him for a pass. I concentrated on closing the gap and caught and passed him but offered encouragement as I went  by in hopes that he could finish strong. I wasn't sure how much longer I could hold my pace. My quads were burning and my legs were starting to feel a bit like jello and nausea was beginning to set in.  A few minutes later I heard the foot falls and labored breathing from behind and thought that he had gotten a second wind. I kept fighting and finally caught sight of the runner out of the corner of my eye.

It was not the guy I thought but a new challenger. This is exactly what I needed to help me finish strong. I am an very competitive runner and cannot stand to be passed. It was an all out foot race for the last 2 miles. With a 1.5 miles left I officially threw down the gauntlet as we passed a water station and I pointed it out to him and said "You better get a drink, it's gonna be a long mile and half". From that point on we traded the lead a couple of times and I tried my best to block him and cut him off. Anything to throw off his stride in hopes that he wouldn't be able to regain it. But he hung right there. In the last 10th of a mile you round a curve and the finish line comes into sight.

I don't remember what the clock said but I knew I was going to make it in under 40 minutes. We were still racing but I began celebrating in my mind. With about 5 steps left I began to pump my fist in victory. I didn't have the lead that I thought I did and this loss of focus was enough for him to come into my peripheral vision. I tried to surge to lock in the foot race victory but my feet got tangled up. I am not sure if it was the mat or if they just tangled in themselves but I went down as I crossed the finish line.

I tore the palm of my right hand up pretty good and have a bruise on the side of my right knee and right hip. I jumped up right away and went to offer congratulations to my competitor. That foot race alone was probably the most exciting thing I have done running since I started running. I cannot tell you how something like that changes the race, it is just something that you have to experience.
That is what I get for celebrating early. Lesson learned.

In the end, I PR'ed, I won my age group, placed 7th overall, and got a sub 40 minute 10k. My official time was 39:37, an average pace 6:23/Mile. My daughter also PR'ed the 5k and took second in her age group. A very happy day indeed. I have been training hard for the marathon and all of that hard work showed up and paid off today. This race was a humongous confidence builder and I am re-energized to finish out the marathon training.
Yeah, 1st in my AG!

Placing in our AG's, just another thing my family likes to do together :)


Comments

Marinell said…
What a great blog Christian! I feel like I was right there with you.
You never cease to amaze me and make me proud! Hope your hand and other injuries heal soon.
Greg Strosaker said…
Great race Christian - always more enjoyable when there's a true mano y mano race involved, nice job putting everything you had out there and hitting your goal. Looking really strong, now just keep it smart in your final preps for Indianapolis.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th