Skip to main content

Indianapolis Monumental Marathon Race Report

This was my first marathon and it was a great personal success. I put in nearly 1200 miles at an average pace of 7:47 MPM in training over the course of 19 weeks with the highest mileage week coming in at 80 miles. In the 19 weeks of training 6 days a week I missed only 2 runs. The first was a medium-long run at the end of a the first "step-back" week. I was absolutely exhausted. The other was a 4 mile recovery run on a day with 2 recovery runs scheduled, you know, a double and life just didn't cooperate.

I had several goals for the race with my "In your wildest dreams" goal of 2:54:59, a stretch goal of 2:59:59, a "probably can do" goal of 3:04:59 and a "least acceptable" of 3:14:59. All but the "stretch" goal were based on Boston qualification standards. 2:54:59 would allow me to register on day 1 nearly guaranteeing a spot in the 2014 running of the Boston Marathon. 3:04:59 would allow me to register in the second phase and still nearly guaranteeing a spot. While 3:14:59 would still allow me to qualify though I would have to wait well into registration to see if there was a spot left for me. The 2:59:59 would have just allowed me to be considered a sub 3 hour marathoner.

The race started in downtown Indianapolis and there was no race day packet pickup so we decided to stay in a hotel and skip the hassle of 2 trips. We checked into our hotel and headed to dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory because there is no better place that I can think of to "carb load." After dinner we went over to the convention center for the the expo and packet pickup. I got a chance to say "hi and good luck" to Angie F who was making a return to the half-marathon distance after a year and a half absence. That was no surprise I knew she was going to be there handing out race packets but what was a surprise was that guy I raced at the BeeBumble back in September walked right past me. After a moments hesitation I went to catch him and say hi. We talked for a minute and I found that he enjoyed that race as much as I did and we planned to meet again next September. This was a surprising and exciting turn of events. We are both a couple of small town runners in the big city at a larger race and we run into each other none the less. The rest of the night was pretty uneventful, sleep was understandably a little restless but not to bad. I woke up around 5:30 AM, ate my traditional pre-race cliff bar and banana and headed out to the start area.

I had a strategy for this race and it started with keeping it easy for the first couple of miles. So I lined up behind the 7:05 pace group figuring I would let someone else set the pace for the first 2 to 3 miles while I settled into a rhythm before striking out on my own at around 6:50 for the rest of the first half. As I stood there I would again meet up with my friend from the BeeBumble. We made small talk while we waited. The race began, we wished each other well and set off.

The field was crowded and tight in the beginning to the point that I was shoulder to shoulder with another runner making the first couple of turns in the downtown area. As expected the crowd thined out pretty quickly. The pace group leader blew it on the first mile by going around 6:40 but I was amazed at how easy that pace felt. He made up for it over the next 2 miles by bringing it back to around 7:10 and I just followed. At mile 3 I made my move and picked up the pace to get to the 6:50 I was looking for in the first half.

By this point some groups were forming and I would find myself becoming familiar with the runners around me each taking turns pulling ahead a little and falling back. Some of these runners would still be there at the end and some would fall off over the course of the race. One runner in particular stands out. He wore american flag printed shorts and I think 350 spectators and aid station volunteers must have commented on them. If you want people to notice you in a race wear some shorts that will stand out.

Another part of my strategy involved making sure that I didn't dehydrate and didn't "hit the wall" because I ran out of glycogen. This marathon featured aid stations every 2.5 miles with Gatorade at every other station and Cliff gels at several of the stations. Fruit and chicken broth were supposed to be available at a few of the stations but I never saw either. My plan was to try to drink some at every aid station and take at least 3 gels through the race. By the 10 mile mark I felt that I had taken too much fluid and began to back off. I stuck with the plan for 3 gels taking 1 about 10 miles another at 15 and the last around the 20 mile mark. Overall, I was pleased with the execution of this part of the race and neither dehydration nor glycogen depletion was an issue at any point.

I hit the half way mark and was really amazed at how good I felt. I started considering bumping the pace up a bit. Again, this was part of my strategy  Hit the half way mark and if I still felt fresh try to negative split the race. Not much else to remark on between 13.1 and 20 or so. We hit mile 20 and I knew that this is where they say the marathon really is. I was a little nervous but at this point still feeling pretty good. A guy and a girl who were obviously running this race together but I hadn't noticed up to this point started to make a lot of noise. It seemed that she was starting to struggle and he was trying to talk her through it. It was a psychological challenge listening to him with his good intentions saying things like "I promise the pain will go away after we cross the finish line" and "only 6.2 miles to go...... 1 step at a time."

I was getting deep into the race and had yet to see my family even though there were several places along the course that they had planned to get to and I had already passed. Little did I know that they spent over an hour in a traffic jam caused by the half-marathon runners. At mile 23 I finally saw my wife and I've said it before but that always really lifts my spirits. There she was cheering me on yelling "Go, go, you can do it!" While my wife was waiting for me at mile 23 my daughters, like super heroes, changed into their running clothes(yeah, they had their running clothes with them) and ran the last 5k of the marathon back to the finish to meet me there because with  the traffic that was the only way to guarantee someone would be there. Some things just make you think "I have an awesome family!" and this is one of those things.

Around mile 24 the pain of the marathon made itself known to me. My longest training run had been 22 miles and that was probably about 6 weeks ago. My hips, glutes, calves and feet just started to ache and burn. My back was becoming fatigued. Luckily, the route was coming back into the downtown area. The atmosphere was becoming festive, the crowd was growing and the landmarks becoming familiar. All of these things and the possibility of getting in under 3 hours really helped propel me over the next 2.2 miles.

The only real scare during the entire marathon happened at about 25.5 miles. It had started to spit rain and my legs were coming undone in a hurry. I landed on a wet manhole cover and felt my leg buckle. I thought for sure I was going down. Some how, some way I remained upright. I knew in that instance that had I gone down it would have been very difficult to make my legs go again and finish the race. By the Grace of God, my foot slipped, my legs buckled a bit but my stride was not broken.

We made 2 turns in a very short distance and the finish line came into view. I knew I wasn't coming in under 3 hours but I also knew that I had blown away my realistic goal of 3:04:59. In the end I finished in 3:00:25 for 89th  out of 2889 overall and 10th in my age division out of 333.
Finishing Strong!

Tom, a great friend and fellow marathoner  traveled a long way to be there at the finish. Thanks for all of the support Tom!

There are so many positives to take away from this race. While I didn't negative split the race I did nearly  even split it with the second half coming in just about 20 seconds slower and I am very pleased with that. Also, this is the first race that I have really planned a full strategy for and I feel like I executed it perfectly. Even my gear choice was dead on. I was comfortable the entire race. The only thing that I had to adjust during the race was my sock hat. If I got a little warm I pulled it off and carried until I got a little cool and put it back on. If you follow my training on daily mile you know that I battle being under/over dressed a lot. Most importantly, this definitely qualifies me for the 2014 Boston Marathon and gives me a very real chance of actually getting a spot and running in it. All of this in my first attempt at the marathon. I couldn't be happier with the result. As for the sub 3 hour goal, I guess that gives me a reason to train through the winter for an April Marathon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th