Skip to main content

2014 Carmel Half Marathon: Race Report

I originally signed up for the full marathon way back last May for half price. I knew at the time that there was a very good chance that I would switch to the half because if I got into the Boston marathon I would be running that 10 days later. That is exactly how it played out. Little did I know back in May that I would be battling a pulled groin muscle. But I was/am and this was the hardest I have run in over 6 weeks.

Picked up my packet Friday over a long lunch and headed back to work. On the way home my wife was looking though and saw that my bib had the name "Brittney" printed on it. I contacted the RD and arranged to pick up a blank bib in the morning before the race. Got up Saturday morning and headed to the race. By the time we got there, picked up my new bib and stoped at the port-a-pots it was about 5 minutes to race time. As such I couldn't get up past corral C. I met an older guy, probably late 50's, who was running his 25th full here and his 26th next weekend. Inspiring to say the least.

Normally I don't get to worked up for half marathons but given my current situation and my goal race only 10 days away I was pretty nervous leading up to this race. With the lack of quality running I knew anything resembling a decent time was going to be uncomfortable. Normally, I am OK with that. That's part of racing, whether it's a 5k, half, or full marathon being uncomfortable is part of the process. I can accept that when a PR or age group win  is on the line. It's a little harder to take when you know you won't even get 5th in your age group and a PR isn't even in the discussion. But this is where I am at so, fine, it is what it is.

The race started right on time, I love that! I hit the start mat and was off.  I wanted to run under 1:30 but went into it knowing I would let my injury and legs determine the final outcome. Again, this was not a goal race and more so my goal race was only 10 days out. This was not the time to try and prove anything.

You've got to love a race that starts on time.


I used the first mile to kind of work my way up the pack which was a challenge given that I had started back in corral C. In the first few miles I was judging my pace by how I was doing in regards to various pace groups, making my way past the 2:00 half, the 3:45 full, the 1:40 half. By about mile 3 I had caught the 3:10 full pace group so I know I was settling into a good pace and there was no real trouble from the groin yet.

It was a lonely race for the most part as I was working my way up through various packs of runners. Catching 1 and targeting another was a good way to keep my mind occupied. I wasn't really noticing the groin injury which was a very good thing. I just kept working the pace down. I could tell I was running hard but no where near max effort and it didn't feel as bad as I was worried it would.

Around mile 8 I took some water from a water stop. I never drink during a half but I am taking lots of ibuprofen right now due to the injury and the doctor told me to be sure not to dehydrate as this would concentrate the medicine and be hard on my kidneys. This was a terrible mistake. I swallowed wrong and fought the next 1/4 of a mile to maintain a run without the luxury of actually breathing. Once I could breath again I was able to get my pace back on track.

At mile 9 my wife and youngest daughter were waiting to cheer me on. They can pick me out a long way off because they know my gait so well. I swear I could hear Hannah cheering nearly a 1/4 mile away. This always breathes new life into my run. I really hope she doesn't get drowned out in Boston but if I'm going to hear her there she's really gonna have to bring her A game.

Mile 9 ready to high-five my loudest supporter, Hannah!


Mile 10 I saw a guy in front of me start to walk. I got my best drill Sargent voice out in an effort to spur him on. I do this to help others along but it is also a big help to me. How can I slow down when I have just ordered someone else not to? He picked it back up but no doubt he was suffering and I passed him pretty quickly. At this point there were no packs of runners left just loners and I began passing several of them. I was continuing to work my pace down as the finish drew nearer and I felt more and more confident that I was not doing any harm to my pulled muscle and that I could keep up the effort to the end.

Between mile 11 and mile 12 I passed a guy waring the shirt from this years Sam Costa Half. The Sam Costa shirts list last years AG winners and top 3 over all and masters division. I took 3rd in masters and this was the first time I saw the shirt in person. Pretty cool and gave me a little extra pep.

With about a mile to go you hit a nice long 2.5 or 3% incline. I dug in knowing that 1:30 was closing in on me. It felt good to work hard and I was running the hardest pace of the day at around 6:30. I saw the "1/2 mile to go sign" and made the final turn and turned it on. Finishing the final 1/4 of a mile at near puke threshold and under my mile PR pace at around 5:44. I crossed the finish line in 1:30:17 42nd/1431 overall 6th/105 in my age group. For an injured guy, I'll take it.
Best sign I saw all morning

Digging in trying to secure a sub 1:30 half. I missed by 17 seconds but I was giving it all I had here


It's been a disappointing season to say the least. I worked hard over a very harsh winter and was on track to smash PR's in the half here or in an earlier race that I had to skip because of the injury and full at Boston. For the last 6 weeks I have been flailing trying to maintain enough fitness just to finish Boston. I was happy to get this race under my belt. It was a little bit of a confidence boost and while I won't be able to hit my initial goal of 2:49:59 at Boston, I think I can mange a sub 3:00 hour effort and based on this race that will be my goal.

Onward to Boston!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th