Skip to main content

2014 Indianapolis Half Marathon Race Report

Stats
1:21:07 Chip Time (PR by 2'46")
1:21:13 Gun Time
3rd/1432 Overall
3rd/635 Men
1st/97 40-45 AG
Indiana State RCAA Masters Half-Marathon Champion

This was my big tune up race for the 2014 Indianapolis Monumental Marathon next Saturday 11/1/2014 and my goal for this race was to run under 1:23. That time would give me a solid PR and put me right where I need to be to feel confident in my ability to run the Monumental in under 2:50. That's it and all indications from my training pointed to success.

I have been training for the last 6 weeks in a pretty big calorie debt trying to shake about 10 pounds that snuck up on me. I've always raced at 128 or under and I knew that I didn't want to carry that excess weight for 26.2 miles. In addition, in the 2 weeks proceeding the half marathon I logged 100 running miles each week. The first time I had ever run 100 in a week and I put together 2 weeks in a row at that mileage. The point is between the weight loss and the big mileage weeks I had become familiar friends with a very deep level of fatigue. 

Luckily, this race was at the end of my first week of tapering for the Monumental so I had cut back to 75 miles and for the 3 days leading up I ran super easy and I picked up the calories. So when race day rolled around I was feeling good to say the least.

This year we stayed in a hotel near the race. All the usual's the night before and I slept pretty well with no complaints. I was up at 5:00 AM to get dressed, drink some coffee and eat the ritual cliff bar and banana. They have really good parking at this race and we picked up our packets the night before so no rush in the morning as we were only about 5 minutes from the race and I know the area well.

We got to the race walked to the start area and I went off for a short warmup with 4 x 20" strides. This race has a great feature for guys. A walk in urinal trough. This means no waiting in a port-a-pot line. Additionally, I was seeded in corral A so no need to get in early and jockey for position. This combination means that at this race I can finish my warmup literally 5 minutes before the start and that is just what I did. Perfect.

I got lined up at the start and my wife pointed out my old friend Garrett that I met and ran a lot of the 2013 Carmel Marathon with. He was pacing the full for 3:15. We talked for a minute and planned to work together in the Monumental to reach our mutual goal of running under 2:50. I was very happy to see him and also excited about the plans we made.

With that we were off. It was about 40 degrees and I stripped my long sleeve throw away shirt off and ran this race shirtless. I really just prefer to run without a shirt. You want to get a lot of comments during a cold fall race, go shirtless. 

Within the first mile the lead packs had settled a bit and I was just behind the first group in about 7th or 8th place. I picked out several runners that I would keep my eye on and try to pass before it was over. Around mile 3 there is a nice long hill and I watched a friend and fellow CKRR member move from 4th to 1st over the course of that hill while shedding clothes. It was a thing of beauty and something I will always remember. 

I wasn't passing anyone in the first 5 miles or so and no one was passing me. It seemed like the gap between the 7 or 8 in front of me was getting smaller except for my friend who now was solidly leading the race. I just kept the rest of them in sight knowing that I run stronger as the race goes on. About mile 5 I caught my first target. 

This marathon has a relay element with the first handoff around 4 miles and at about the same time I was passing a guy I got passed by 2 other runners and I assumed them both to be in the relay. They just looked way to fast. I was wrong. Only 1 was in the relay, the other would be the eventual winner of the half marathon. 

Around mile 7 there is a turn around. My friend was in the lead with no one even close. I shouted some encouragement to him and from here I started whittling down the runners in front of me. Passing most between 7 and 10 miles. At mile 10 there is another good hill and last year it took my legs out and I never recovered. This year I attacked it again but faired much better.

I made the turn for mile 12 and saw the last guy I thought I would have a chance at and I knew it would put me in either 3rd or 2nd place but I had lost the exact count. Still, I hate to see a guy falter this close and I tried to get him to rally and finish strong. I could tell though that he was probably done. I passed him with maybe 3/4 of a mile left and my legs were beginning to feel weak. I've been running right around 6:11 the whole race but the adrenaline of another pass gave me a bit more determination. I made another turn and saw a CKRR member who was spectating. She let me know I was 3rd overall and with this I found a little more strength and was able to keep the faster pace trying to hang on to the podium finish.

I made the final turn and even though I couldn't see her yet I could hear Hannah! Always my loudest supporter. Then I hear and see my wife and she is letting me know that I am 3rd overall but I have someone close so I need to pick it up, "Every second counts! GO!" I find a whole lot of strength here and drop down to about a 5:30 pace. He couldn't cover so I extended the gap and secured a podium finish, a humongous PR at 1:21:07 and the title of RCAA Indiana Half Marathon Masters Champion. Apparently this was the Championship half marathon race for the state. I think that I knew that but wasn't really aware and didn't really know how it worked. I received an email letting me know and a nice medal in the mail a few days later.

Full of confidence from my 2 tune up races this season I am nothing but excited for Saturday. Time to show the marathon who's boss!

Comments

Keith S said…
Great stuff Christian....congrats on a super half marathon PB time, sub 2:50 is on now , time to get it done now after a great training cycle, you have a ridiculously low racing weight too and envious.


Best wishes Keith (DM)

Popular posts from this blog

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th