Skip to main content

Clearwater Distance Classic 50k Race Report

Race Stats
Date 1/18/2015 (7:05 AM)
Gun Time: 3:40:50
Chip Time: 3:40:45
Overall 1/136
Male 1/63

For Christmas this year I received a trip to Florida and entry into the Clearwater Distance Classic 50k from my wife and daughters. I had been looking for a couple of 50ks to include as extra-long long runs in my training for the Carmel Marathon this year. In the past I have just done these as self-supported runs but that is a very daunting way to go about it. I figured with a fully supported race and plenty of other runners it wouldn't be such a mental task.

My wife and I left for Florida on Thursday afternoon. We flew out of Indianapolis and into Tampa Bay. It was great to get away from the single digit temperatures for a few days. The race wasn't until Sunday so the plan was to spend a few nights at our favorite Disney resort and then drive down to Clearwater on Saturday Morning and check into our hotel for a couple of nights on the beach.

I slept remarkably well Saturday night and woke up around 5:00 AM to eat breakfast and get ready for the race. My nutrition and hydration plan for the day included a cliff bar and 2 bananas plus a cup of coffee as soon as I woke up and 5 gels during the race drinking water and gatorade as indicated by thirst and limited enough to keep it from sloshing in my stomach. My wife returned sweaty and out of breath after her run with this advice. "It's humid, drink plenty." With that I decided to drink at most aid stations.

We got to the race start with plenty of time to spare and after a few minutes my wife left to get outside of the course with the car so that she could drive and cheer at as many spots as possible. It was just a little chilly so I headed over to find groups of people to stand in. The race start time was 7:05 and the corrals began filling up just before 7:00. We had the national anthem and started pretty much on time.

There were about 2000 runners spread across the 5 different events at this race. I lined up near the front but didn't worry to much about where I was. This was just a long training run and my pacing strategy was to be super conservative and run around 8:00 to 8:15 miles. At least that is what I kept telling myself and my wife. But somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I would end up racing or at least there was the real possibility of that so I didn't want to have a chip time to different from gun time.

The race started in downtown Clearwater at Coachman park and the first mile ended at the top the bridge over Clearwater Bay. This was just 1 of several bridge/overpass crossings that presented themselves as hills that were steep but relatively short. The first half of the race was along Gulf Boulevard and was very scenic including views of the Gulf of Mexico and some very nice real estate.


The bridge over Clearwater Bay

Around mile 4 or 5 I heard a runner behind me call out "Go Patriots!" presumably in response to a spectator wearing Patriots gear. this race was on January 18th 2015 the day the Indianapolis Colts and the New England Patriots were meeting for the AFC Championship game. I looked back and asked him if he was looking for a fight. I'm not a huge Colts fan but being from Indiana and the particular situation I thought it would be a short diversion in a long race to talk a little football. Jason, the Patriots fan, was running the marathon.


We had a nice conversation mostly about football and running. Jason asked me about my fueling strategy and I realized I had forgotten to take a gel. I had planned on taking them every six miles or so and we were closing in on mile 8. No aid stations in sight for a drink so I decided to hold off a few minutes longer.

Around mile 8 I found myself in need of a porta-pot and told Jason I would catch back up. I never could get comfortable running 8 minute miles but we were running what felt like an easy pace around 7:20-7:30 and felt I could drop the pace for a while and catch back up with him.

This motivated me to not loose any time because of my stop. It took me about a mile and a half of running around 6:30 but I finally caught him at around mile 9.5. He was surprised but I wasn't. During my sprint my wife drove up behind me and offered me a cookie. One thing I like about smaller races like this is that the spectator can get so close. I figured I had a long way to go and the cookie would be good fuel so I took it.

Jason and me at about mile 10.
Jason and I ran together the rest of the way until the marathon and 50k split at around mile 16. When I went off into the 50k extension I asked the court marshal my place. He didn't quite seem to understand why but told me "3rd or 4th I think." Luckily a bike medic came along a few minutes later and reported that "There are 2 runners about a 1/2 mile ahead of you."

I've been running very high mileage since my last marathon in November trying to stay above 75 miles a week. This 50k was closing the books on a block of 2 100 mile weeks and I had just had 2 very low mileage/ very high calorie days leading up to the race. All of this combined put me in a position to feel like I was just getting warmed up at this point. Knowing that there were only 2 ahead of me and that the gap was so small I knew that the race was on and this had ceased to be a training run. I dropped my pace down to around 6:40 and got to work.

By mile 18 I had the number 2 runner in my sights and could see that he was struggling. I just kept working and caught him right after the turn around. My focus and drive intensified. Next I saw the lead runner and watched the gap close. I had caught and passed him a little after mile 20. I was in the lead and feeling strong. I was fully aware of the opportunity at hand, that I could actually win the first 50k I ever ran and there was no way was I giving up the lead. Head down, get to work!

The back half of the race took us away from the spectacular views of the Gulf of Mexico and away from the high end real estate. We were running along the Pinnellas County Trail. Jason, who is from the area, encouraged me to take in the great views on the front half because there was nothing pretty about the trail we would finish on. He was right except for one thing, I saw my wife several times on the trail and she is always adds an element of beauty (too sappy? too bad, it's my report).

I was now running with what was probably 3:50-4:10 marathoners so I was passing runners quickly. I heard several exclamations and shouts of encouragement as I would pass these runners and they would see my strong pace and my bib indicating that I was running the ultra. This served to fuel me even more and made the last 9 miles really fly by. I saw my wife again around mile 22 and she asked if I needed anything. I said I didn't need anything but to hang on for the next 9 miles. At each mile I just kept thinking run this mile strong and pad the lead just in case it all falls apart. But at the end of each mile I still felt strong. Hanging on wasn't going to be a problem.

The last couple of miles we came off of the trail and were on city streets. I started recognizing things from the driving around we had done the day before. I knew the end was near and felt pretty confident that the victory was in hand. Rather than feeling like a shell of a man after having run 29 miles already with 2 left to go I was full of excitement and confidence coming down this final stretch.

Crossing the finish line knowing I had secured an actual win was a surreal feeling. I had never dared to say it out loud but I had a feeling I could win this race when I opened my gift on Christmas morning and now I had actually done it.  I crossed the timing mat, paused the watch, dropped to my knees in praise to God and made the sign of the Cross closing out the run and victory offered up as a prayer.
Crossing the finish line and securing the victory!
This race has confirmed for me the high mileage approach to training that I have been taking. It has also solidified my belief that I am built for longer distances. I have avoided racing ultras for a couple of years to focus on running the marathon faster. I have been planning to continue focusing on marathons until the PRs dry up and then shifting to the longer distance races but this experience is making me reconsider that approach. I ran the first half of this race conservatively and the last half I raced and I was 100% recovered after just a couple of days.

Comments

Chris Lauber, Race Director said…
Christian - what a treat to stumble onto your race report. GINORMOUS CONGRATS to you for such a great performance. You should have received your champion award by now - we mailed them a while ago. Thanks for joining us and I hope you will make your way back to defend your title.

Popular posts from this blog

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th