Skip to main content

Monumental Marathon Training Weeks 1 and 2

It's marathon training season again. I went back and forth over the off season trying to decide on which training plan I would use this time around. I have always used the plans in Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfizinger. Because I get bored easily, I was tempted this time to go with Jack Daniel's "Final 12 Week" program found in "Daniel's Running Formula vol. 3." In the end I came back to Pete; "stick with what you know" Since it was by far my best marathon ever, I will be trying to replicate my build up from the last Monumental with the paces just a little quicker to help propel me to a new PR.

I got a late start with this cycle because we were on vacation in California the week I should have started. So I basically I planned to run the workouts from week 1 and 3 for the first 2 weeks. I faltered a bit because I had a hard time getting into the groove and getting my mind into the right place. It takes a lot of physical AND mental effort to train for a PR in the marathon.

Week 1 included a 9 mile run with 4 miles at lactate threshold (LT) followed the next day with a 12 mile run. The goal pace for LT runs is 6:08 and my splits were 6:06, 6:00, 6:02. Mile 4 was interrupted by stomach distress. I did a little over half a mile at 6:08 while trying to fight through it but it finally won and I had to stop to get it under control. I finished out the mile around goal pace but forgot to reset my watch so I don't have the specifics. It was 64* with 94% humidity for this run. Overall, I was well pleased with where I was at given the humidity and stomach problems.

The next day's medium long run (ML) went well with an average pace of 6:55. This was maybe just a bit too fast but hey, who's going to complain about that. I was happy to be able to produce that pace the day after a tempo run. The long run for the week was 17. I usually do my long runs on Friday's but I had trouble sleeping Thursday night so I slipped this to Saturday. I wanted to do some marathon pace (MP) work and extend the run to 20 miles but I wasn't really feeling it so I just put in the 17 miles and called it a day.

Week 1 stats
10 Runs
Total Miles 82
2 workouts (Tempo followed by ML and a LR)
Miles at or above MP 4

Week 2 was really week 3. At this point in training the most important workouts are the LT or "tempo" runs. So to get back on track I skipped week 2 and did week 3's LT followed up with another ML. This is a great combination that really helps to simulate the fatigue of a marathon while not requiring an undo amount of recovery. Week 3 ups the ante with another 9 mile run but with 5 miles at tempo pace and a 14 mile ML run the next day.

As I said, I have really been struggling mentally up to this point and the big workouts are the worst. I made this a little easier mentally by running a 4 mile tempo followed with 4 minute recovery jog and then the final mile of tempo. This allowed me to not stress and toss and turn all night before the workout and still get in the work. Again, my pace goal was 6:08. It was 72* and 88% humidity for this workout and I was a little slow with splits of  6:12, 6:12, 6:13, 6:12 and 6:09. Still I was satisfied with the work given the conditions. I ran the next mornings 14 mile ML an average pace of 7:15.

By this time the struggle is getting to be almost more than I can take and I have thought many times about just quitting. Just running for the health benefits and no longer "racing" marathons. Friday morning I was supposed to run 20 with 8 at MP. I was up and out the door by 4:00 AM but I couldn't get the thought of quitting out of my head. "I don't want to do this anymore!" and at mile 5.5 I did something I have never done. I bailed on a workout. I cut it and made a turn toward home. "Who needs this!?", "This is a hard life and I'm done with it!"

I couldn't help but feel like an abject failure. I quit on a workout. I made an excuse. I didn't finish the work. I was uneasy all day long. I made a decision to run the workout the next day. "I'm going to give it a shot.", "This is what I do, it's who I am,"

Saturday morning the alarm went off and I quit again! I just cannot get past this feeling of dread of running. I went back to bed and slept later than I have slept in a couple of years. When I got up I felt like a new man. Looking back I was so utterly exhausted, no wonder I could hardly bear the thought of running at all, let alone running 20 miles. But it was already getting hot and rather than run I decided to do my long run on Sunday, slipping it yet another day.

In the back of my head I was worried I would quit again Sunday morning. So with some encouragement from my wife I headed out around 10:30 AM for my long run.

It was hot. I ran way to fast to begin in the heat. The first 13 miles of the run were below a 7:00 minute pace which would be fine in 50* or 60* temps but it was 82* and sunny. In addition, I have never run a more broken up 20 mile run in my life. I had to make a bathroom break around mile 8, I stopped intentionally for water at home around mile 15. I was on call at work during this run and I got a text that something was wrong. Luckily I was only about a 1/4 mile from home so I stopped, went in my air conditioned house and spent about 10 minutes logging in to the network and correcting the problem. I was unable to rally after this last stop and just jogged out the last 4 miles finishing the run with an average moving pace of 7:07.

Week 2 stats
10 Runs
Total Miles 82
2 workouts (Tempo followed by ML and a LR)
Miles at or above MP 8 (5 tempo, 3 mile MP pickup at the end of a run)

I am feeling much better. The nagging voice telling me to quit has been silenced for the moment. The next couple of weeks will be interesting. I am running The Blister in the Sun Marathon this Sunday in Cookeville TN. Billed as a "A Stupid Hot Hilly Little Run in the Park" with a race director who says "I guarantee suck ass conditions and a fun time." Right now the forecast is 65*/90* with full sun and 80% humidity. "Suck ass conditions" indeed. The run will be a time-on-feet strength building run with no concern for pace or finishing time. My primary goal is to get the miles in and be able to resume regular training within a few days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th