Skip to main content

Back to work!

It's been 3 weeks since IRONMAN Louisville (read the race report here) and I'm tired of watching my fitness slide. I have laid out my plans for 2018 and I am recovered so this morning it was back to work.

First I have to preface the "I am recovered" bit. My fatigue has returned to a state that will allow me to resume hard training. My left knee on the other hand, is still a bit cranky. I can ride my bike, no trouble at all but I can only run for about 20 to 25 minutes at a time before my knee gets really mad and won't let me go any further.

I'm planning another post about my goals for 2018 but, in the interest of brevity here, the first goal for the year is to go after a half marathon PR. My current PR is 1:18:56 and the course I set that on seems to have been a bit short. My goal race is the Sam Costa half-marathon on March 24th, 2018. That course consistently measures long by GPS. It's certified though and we all know GPS is not as accurate as the measuring devices used for certified course. All that being said my goal pace for Sam Costa, to ensure a PR, is a pace of 5:55 per mile.

I think I have devised a method to go ahead and get to work on the half-marathon PR despite the current situation with my knee. My official training plan doesn't start for about 4 more weeks and in the mean time the biggest challenge is to remember how to suffer like you have to suffer to run a fast half-marathon and getting my body used to running at those hard paces.

That being the case, for now I can do the warm up and cool down portion of workouts on my stationary bicycle trainer and run only the actual workout. This will allow me to go ahead and start teaching my body to run hard and right now 20-25 minutes at those paces will  be enough to acclimate to half-marathon training.

I put this plan to practice this morning in my first real workout since IRONMAN. The meat of the workout was 5 x 1 kilometer repeats at or close to goal half-marathon pace. I allowed for a little wiggle room this morning as I am simply trying to remember how to run hard, how to internalize that discomfort and how to push through that wall of pain that stands between me and my goal.

I was pretty pleased with this morning's workout which looked like this. For a warm up I used the Sufferfest video Ignitor and my bike trainer. It's whole purpose is to get you primed for a big effort. This is a much better warm up than just slogging around for 15 or 20 minutes. Ignitor got my legs, heart, and lungs ready to get after it.

Once I finished the 21 minute video I changed into my running shoes and loaded up the running workout on my watch. Since I was already warmed up the workout started right away with the first hard km repeat. Half marathon pace is tricky. It takes good fitness for sure but it also just takes some practice to get your body used to that level of suffering. It's not unbearable but it does take familiarity to be able to hit it. For the first interval I hit right at a 6:00 minute pace and it felt really hard.

That left me wondering if I would be able to maintain anything close for the remaining 4 repeats.  I m happy to report that my body adapted fairly quickly. That first interval was in a lot of ways the hardest and I ended up running a pretty good workout. The full set of intervals looked like 5:59, 6:04, 5:59, 6:05, 6:00. The 5:59s and 6:00 were all run one way on a 1 km stretch and the 6:04 and 6:05 were ran in the opposite direction so I'm guessing the disparity was due to the wind which was NNW at about 12 MPH.

I finished off with another Sufferfest video, Extra Shot which is a 20 minute race simulation. I took the intensity down to about 75% so that i didn't have to suffer any more but would get a descent zone 2/3 effort in as a cool down. I used the video to keep the power targets in front of me and make sure I wasn't just spinning mindlessly, being lazy, and wasting the 20 minutes on something that wouldn't benefit my fitness.

All in all I am pretty pleased with this workout and I'm happy to be back at it. I've got a ways to go but I've also got a while to get there. I'm also happy to report that my knee didn't bother me at all during the run which is great news because up until today, it would have so I am hoping I have turned the corner on this injury and can put it behind me and move on toward the goal on March 24th, 2018.

I'll be blogging thru the build up to this half-marathon training cycle and then through the cycle itself but if you are interested in following my workouts, check me out on strava

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 Valpo Half Marathon Race Report

This was my big tune-up race for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. I always run a half-marathon at this point in the build up to the Monumental to get a final big fitness boost, a reality check on where I am at fitness-wise and, if all goes well, probably the most important aspect is the confidence boost that I get. I got one heck of a confidence boost yesterday, 10/25/2015, at the Valpohalf Half-marathon in Valparaiso IN. Valparaiso is about 2 hours from home which is kind of right there on the line of driving on race morning or staying in a hotel the night before. This time we decided to get up and drive. Valparaiso is on central time which puts it an hour behind us. Meaning the 8:30 AM start was really a 9:30 AM start for me.  Making the decision to drive that much easier. I have been dealing with some issues on the top of my right foot, which is probably extensor tendinitis, for the last couple of weeks. I saw my soft-tissue guy last Friday. He worked on it some and got me

The Gosh Darn Tuesday Morning 15-Miler

What can you say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run? I can say a lot. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what I can say about a 15-mile Tuesday morning run on more 15-mile Tuesday Morning runs than I can count. You see, they are a main stay of the marathon training plan that I use. That plan being Pete Pfitzinger’s Advanced Marathoning 18 week 70-85 miles per week plan. The first thing I can say about the Tuesday morning 15-mile run is that it’s not a long run. Pete clearly defines long runs as starting at 16 miles. So, the 15-miler that begins so many Tuesdays of my life is not a long run. I mean, who ever heard of doing a “long run” on a Tuesday morning. That would just be insane. Being that it’s not a long run I can’t do all of the things that I do around a long run. I can’t obsess over the weather for the 15-miler, I can’t eat extra carbs in preparation for the 15-miler, I can’t expect my family to give me deference and make accommodations for me

I Don't Get Anything out of Mass!

A homily that I heard once and some wisdom from an old friend I think really put the Mass and our participation in the Mass into perspective. I remember the homily began by the priest telling us that our parish had lost a family to a non-denominational church down the road. He said that this family actually came to him and said they were leaving and going to this other church for two reasons. The first was that the music was better. The second reason was because they didn't feel like they got anything out of Mass. At this point I remembered something a friend once said that made a lasting impact on me. She said essentially, "I don't come to Mass for the music or for the homily or for anything other than Jesus. I come because Jesus is here in the Eucharist." I wish that those people had known my friend. Because there is no where that you can go to be so close to our Lord as you are when you receive Holy Communion at Mass. The priest reiterated this sentiment and th